More than ever, families are looking to spend time in their backyards, porches, and patios. With the weather still mild, you likely want to take advantage of outdoor activities as much as possible. Unfortunately, pests are out in full-force right now. Wasps, mosquitoes, ticks, and flies can quickly turn an enjoyable time spent in your outdoor living space sour! For that reason, it’s important to learn how to implement pest prevention into your backyard maintenance routine. At Ehrlich Pest Control, formerly Connor’s, we want to help our customers comfortably enjoy their time spent outdoors without the presence of pests. Keep reading for our top bug-free outdoor living.
What Pests Are in My Backyard?
If you are going to be spending time outside, you can be sure pests will be out and about as well! Insects are drawn to a number of things right in your backyard. The most common pests you are likely to come across in your backyard include:
8 Ways to Get Bug-Free Outdoor Living
Pest prevention is just as important outside as it is inside your home. To keep pests away from your garden, barbecue area, deck, or other outdoor living space, implement the following tips.
- Apply an insect repellent. Any repellent with DEET will help repel mosquitoes and ticks.
- Remove standing water. Mosquitoes only need a half inch of standing water to breed.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs trimmed. Overgrown grass or vegetation provides mosquitoes and ticks with shelter.
- Be on the lookout for ant hills. Even a tiny mound can contain thousands of ants inside.
- Thoroughly inspect wood structures. Your deck or porch may be vulnerable to termite or carpenter bee activity.
- Regularly clean up your outdoor space. Crumbs or spilled liquids will attract ants and other insects.
- Burn a few citronella candles. While not a long-term solution, this will repel mosquitoes during outdoor activities.
- Try replacing light bulbs. Yellow bulbs or sodium vapor lights will not attract as many insects.
Staying Pest-Free in Your Yard
It can be overwhelming to know how to keep pests away from your outdoor living space. If you find yourself with a full-blown pest problem, it’s time to contact your local exterminators. Here at Ehrlich, our team is committed to providing our customers with pest-free living both inside and outside their home.