When it comes to dealing with insects, most people are concerned by one thing: whether or not they will bite or sting. Some insect bites are worse than others, and mosquito bites are typically regarded as one of the worst. Not only do these bites cause irritation and swelling, mosquitoes can also carry diseases that are harmful to humans. Because mosquitoes are so pesky and are known to attack humans in the warmer months, it’s crucial to know the about mosquito bite prevention and treatment. By knowing how to treat mosquito bites properly, you can protect yourself and your family from the dangers of mosquitoes.
Top Mosquito Bite Prevention Tips
Some people are more prone to mosquito bites than others. In any case, it’s crucial to learn the best ways to go about avoiding mosquito bites, especially here in the Virginia summertime! A few of our expert mosquito bite prevention tips include:
- Whenever possible, avoid going outdoors at dawn or dusk. This is when mosquitoes are most active and bites are most prevalent.
- Cover your arms and legs with long-sleeved shirts, jackets, and long-legged pants. Treating the clothing with insect repellent will help as well.
- During extended time outdoors, apply insect repellent that contains at least 25 percent DEET. Use only as instructed by the manufacturer.
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Mosquito bite treatment options
Even though mosquito bites may only last a second, the itchy red bumps they leave behind can be a pain to deal with. This is why it’s important to learn how to treat a mosquito bite properly! When you’ve been bitten by a mosquito, it’s important to remember the following mosquito bite treatment tips in order for it to heal in a timely manner:
- Resist the overwhelming temptation to scratch. It actually makes the histamine agitate your skin, resulting in even more irritation than before. It’s also easy to scratch to the point where you break the skin and leave yourself open to infection.
- Always wash your bites in cold water and use soap to clean the area.
- Use anti-inflammatories (e.g. NSAIDS, Benadryl and steroids), antihistamines, and over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream if the itching is relentless.
- While it’s rare, if you develop any odd symptoms or it appears you’re suffering from an infection, it’s important to receive medical attention for proper treatment.
Avoiding mosquito bites year-round
The best mosquito bite prevention method is learning how to prevent mosquitoes in the first place!. While there are a number of tips and tricks to follow in order to protect yourself from bites, there’s no telling whether they’ll be effective enough. At Ehrlich Pest Control, formerly Connor’s, we provide exceptional mosquito services that can help protect you and your family from mosquitoes. Give us a call today to learn more!Back to Mosquito Exterminators, Control & Abatement
Mosquito Bite Prevention and Treatment in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944