Serving Springfield | Arlington | Alexandria | Fairfax
Cockroaches are dreaded pests, and for good reason. They’re notoriously difficult to control, spread diseases, make a mess, and are, of course, not the most attractive pest to lay eyes on. A roach can survive under unbelievably harsh conditions, and they will do anything to survive. In addition to causing psychological distress, cockroaches may contaminate your family’s food supply with E. coli and salmonella, reinforcing the need for professional cockroach control. It can be distressing to discover that you have a cockroach infestation, which is why it’s important to learn what cockroaches are attracted to in the first place.
Cockroach behaviors and attractants
To better understand why you have a cockroach problem, it’s smart to learn more about their behaviors and habits:
- Cockroaches are mainly nocturnal insects, which is why they scatter and scuttle toward dark corners when you turn on a light. They prefer dark, moist environments for their homes.
- Cockroaches can survive on a lot of different materials. They eat food, garbage, wallpaper paste, paper, bookbinding materials, and other organic materials.
- Roaches also gravitate toward small nooks and crannies. They’ll hide under the sink, in the walls, and within cracks in the floor, too.
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Preventing cockroach infestations
Cockroaches want three things: food, water, and shelter. To effectively keep them away from your home, it’s important to stay vigilant about reducing or eliminating their survival sources inside your home. Some of the measures you can take to keep cockroaches away includes:
- Refrigerate unsealed food and store food in airtight containers.
- Avoid leaving pet food out overnight and promptly put it away after mealtime.
- Completely seal trash or take it out nightly.
- Wash or put unwashed dishes in the dishwasher.
- Wipe or sweep away spills and crumbs immediately.
- Keep your oven, microwave, and counters debris-free.
- Avoid leaving clutter or piles of junk around your property.
- Seal all cracks and gaps around pipes and in your home’s exterior.
Expert cockroach exterminators
Ehrlich is dedicated to keeping our clients safe from pest infestations throughout the entire year. Cockroaches are difficult to deal with, which is why we advocate for our Integrated Pest Management solutions, which work to prevent infestations from ever becoming a problem to begin with. To learn more about our cockroach control services or for more info on what cockroaches are attracted to, give us a call today!Back to Cockroach Exterminators, Control & Removal
What Cockroaches Are Attracted To in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944