Serving Springfield | Arlington | Alexandria | Fairfax
No homeowner wants to deal with cockroaches. Not only are they a gruesome pest to behold, they transmit a number of diseases, are notoriously difficult to control, and can cause damage to your property. If you’ve seen one cockroach scuttling across your kitchen floor, you already have an infestation on your hands. Seeing just one almost typically means there’s a lot more, and an infestation can grow rather quickly. The best method of cockroach control is always prevention.
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Preventing cockroaches in the home
In order to keep cockroaches away from your home, it’s necessary to implement proper preventative measures that work to make your home less attractive for them. Cleaning and proper food storage are absolutely essential to keeping your home roach-free. Some of the ways you can prevent cockroaches include:
- Eliminate their food sources.
- Roaches are attracted to fruits, vegetables, crumbs, and garbage. Make sure to keep food in sealed contained, garbage tightly sealed, and all pet food stored with tight-fitting lids.
- Properly clean up your space.
- If you’ve made a mess cooking or eating with your family, it’s important to be prompt to sweep, mop, or clean anything that has fallen onto the ground.
- Make sure that you wash your dishes or get them in the dishwasher immediately after you eat. Leaving dirty dishes out is another cockroach invitation.
- Eliminate their hiding spots.
- Spend some time cleaning up cluttered piles of newspapers and any other potential roach habitats.
- Get rid of any cardboard boxes or old grocery bags. Any warm, dark place is attractive to roaches.
- Apply treatments to deter roaches.
- Boric acid and roach traps help with getting rid of a cockroach infestation, but prevention is the best policy and over-the-counter treatments can be filled with harmful chemicals.
- Roaches are repelled by the acidity of coffee grounds, which are sometimes used as a DIY prevention method when spread around the foundation of your home.
Reliable cockroach prevention services
A professional cockroach exterminator who uses environmentally-friendly pest control solutions is your best bet for eliminating these pests. DIY spraying methods for cockroach control are basically useless, and will just drive the cockroaches into another area of your home. Connor’s Termite & Pest Control uses Integrated Pest Management methods to keep cockroaches away from your home and offers comprehensive protection plans that work to protect you year-round. To learn more about our cockroach control services, call us today!Back to Cockroach Exterminators – Control – Removal
How to Keep Cockroaches Out of Your Home in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944