There’s no place like home for the holidays! Unfortunately, bed bugs tend to think so, too! With more people traveling during Thanksgiving and all of December than any other time of year, it’s crucial to know how to prevent bed bug problems. Infestations are often traced back to traveling because bed bugs are infamous for infesting luggage and hotel rooms. If you’re flying home, staying in a hotel, or inviting guests to stay with you this holiday season, keep reading to learn Ehrlich Pest Control, formerly Connor’s top tips on how to prevent bed bugs.
Bed Bugs in the Winter
During the holiday season, the last thing you probably think about is the possibility of a pest infestation, especially from bed bugs. While bed bugs do not hibernate in the same way some pests do, they may enter a state of diapause and can live for months without a meal. For the most part though, bed bugs are perfectly capable of infesting homes in the winter months because they can survive extreme temperatures.
Preventing Bed Bugs while Traveling
Because bed bugs are a threat whenever traveling, it’s important to learn how to prevent picking up bed bugs during your holiday traveling. There are a number of ways to prevent bed bugs before and after a trip:
- Pack your clothing in sealed plastic bags, and always use a hard-case suitcase.
- Do your research before booking a hotel room by reading through reviews for mentions of bed bug problems.
- Before settling into a hotel room, pull back the sheets to inspect the bed for live bugs or signs of bed bug activity.
- Always place your suitcase on luggage racks, on top of furniture, or inside of a bathtub inside hotel rooms.
- When returning from a trip, wash all clothing in hot water and steam-clean your suitcase (outside your home, if possible).
Bed Bug Removal and Treatment
If you’ve returned from a trip this Thanksgiving and find yourself with a bed bug infestation, it’s important to act fast. Bed bugs are resilient pests and always need to be dealt with by a bed bug exterminator. The team at Ehrlich Pest Control, formerly Connor’s know how to control current infestations and help you learn how to prevent bed bug problems in the future. To learn more about our bed bug services, call us today!
Traveling for Thanksgiving? Learn How to Prevent Bed Bugs! in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944