From using a vinegar spray for ants to store-bought pesticides for roaches, we’ve all dabbled in DIY pest control from time to time. When many homeowners spot a pest problem, they’ll head to their local hardware store and arm themselves with chemicals, sprays, baits, traps, and more. Some even look into all-natural remedies. But do these actually work? DIY pest control is a gamble, and–unfortunately–unreliable. When you want to get rid of a pest problem fast–or perhaps avoid them altogether–your best bet is to hire a professional pest control company.
The team at Ehrlich Pest Control, formerly Connor’s, outlines the pros and cons of DIY pest control in our latest blog post. Keep reading to learn more!
Does DIY Pest Control Work?
For some very small pest problems, perhaps a few ants in your windowsill or house spiders in your tub, DIY or store-bought pest control products may help. However, do-it-yourself pest control is not a long-term solution:
- Some types of pests, including rodents, termites, bed bugs, and carpenter ants are more dangerous and destructive. Getting rid of these infestations will be a challenge for any novice.
- Many store-bought products are filled with chemicals that can be dangerous for you, your family, and your pets. Reading the label doesn’t always guarantee the product will be applied safely.
- At-home remedies rarely work in the long-term and do not prevent future infestations.
- DIY or store-bought products don’t come with a guarantee or warranty as often as professional services, meaning you often have to buy more products.
Benefits of a Professional Exterminator
Hiring a professional pest control company may seem like a bigger commitment of your time and money, but the payoff is tenfold that of DIY methods. There are many benefits:
- An experienced exterminator has the knowledge and experience to tackle any current infestation you have. They are experts in the behaviors and habits of pests, making it easier for them to control any problems quickly and efficiently.
- With a focus on IPM practices, they can also work to prevent future problems. As often as possible, a professional will use environmentally-responsible products that are always applied safely and effectively with little invasion or disruption to your daily life.
- When you decide to have regular pest control services, your exterminator will work with you to develop a customized pest control plan suited to the unique needs of your home.
DIY vs. Professional: How to Choose
If you have a pest problem, you probably want to get rid of it ASAP. To do so, a professional pest control company is always the way to go over DIY pest control. Our team is committed to keeping our customers safe from pests by preventing them in the first place. To stay pest-free 365 days of the year, Ehrlich is here for you.
Pros & Cons of DIY Pest Control in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944