It’s National Pest Month, and the pest season is only just beginning! This spring, it’s important to prepare your Virginia home for the onslaught of mosquitoes in the coming months.No one wants to deal with mosquitoes ruining their outdoor barbecues come summertime. Thankfully, there are a number of things homeowners can do right now to greatly reduce the risk of mosquitoes in your property.
From installing screens and fans to various yard work tasks, keep reading to learn how to prevent mosquitoes from the experts at Ehrlich Pest Control, formerly Connor’s.
Mosquito Prevention Tips
With the weather warming up, now is the time to learn how to prevent mosquitoes in your yard! Some of the things you can do include:
- Eliminate standing water. Dump out standing water in buckets, flower pots, bird baths, tarps, and more. Mosquitoes use standing water to breed!
- Install screens on your windows. Installing screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you try to get some fresh air.
- Add fish to ponds and agitate water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. In addition, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Trim vegetation. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Get the air moving. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor areas.
Protecting Your Family from Mosquitoes
During mosquito season, it’s important to be aware of how to prevent being bitten by these pesky insects. Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn, and tend to gather in areas with standing water. When going outdoors, try to wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and pants. In addition, apply an EPA-registered insect repellent on areas of the body that are not covered. Always consult your pediatrician before use on children.
How to Prevent Mosquitoes All Year Long
For long-term mosquito prevention, it’s recommended to talk with your mosquito control experts. At Ehrlich Pest Control, we provide mosquito repellents that are proven to keep your property protected against these pesky and potentially dangerous insects. To learn more about how we can help you prevent mosquitoes in the coming months, call our team today!
How to Prevent Mosquitoes in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944