You may think that pests are only a problem in the spring and summer, but infestations can happen in Virginia winters, too! While many pests and insects indeed die off in the cold weather, there are several that stick around. In fact, many pests look to invade homes to escape dropping temperatures in the winter. To prevent winter pests in your home, keep reading to learn top tips from the experts at Connor’s Termite & Pest Control.
Common Winter Pests
Overwintering pests will enter homes in the colder months to wait out the freezing temperatures. Some of the most common winter insects are ants, stink bugs, Asian lady beetles, and boxelder bugs. These insects typically won’t be seen until the springtime. In addition to these insects, there are a number of other winter pests that may invade your Virginia home this time of year:
- Rodents: The house mouse and Norway rat will squeeze their way inside in the winter.
- Spiders: House spiders will hide indoors in dark, secluded corners.
- Cockroaches: German cockroaches hitchhike indoors in grocery bags and boxes.
- Bed bugs: Known to withstand extreme temperatures, bed bug infestations are common in the winter
5 Tips to Prevent Winter Pest Problems
Preventing winter pests requires many of the same efforts of preventing pests year-round. Five ways you can prevent winter pests include:
- Seal cracks and crevices outside your property to keep pests from making their way inside.
- Place screens over vents and chimneys to eliminate entry points inside the property.
- Store firewood away from the home and eliminate clutter in your yard to discourage nesting.
- Eliminate sources of excess moisture by promptly fixing leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Promptly clean up spills, dispose of garbage regularly, and avoid excess clutter.
Do You Need Winter Pest Control?
To save yourself from the surprise and frustration of a pest infestation during the winter, it’s important to know how to protect your property. Rodents, cockroaches, and spiders are common pest infestations in the winter, which is why it’s so important to implement winter pest control into your home maintenance routine. If you need help or want to learn more about how to prevent winter pests, give the experts at Connor’s Termite & Pest Control a call today!
How to Pest-Proof Your Home This Winter in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944