Before the cold weather hits, it’s important to know what types of pests may be looking to get inside your home. Especially here in Virginia, overwintering pests are a common pest problem for homeowners this time of year. An overwintering pest is any insect or wild animal that gets into your home for food, warmth, and shelter during the winter months until spring rolls back around. These pests often make themselves at home in your attic and can cause a lot of noise and a big mess. No one wants pests inside their property, making it important to learn how to prevent the common pests in your attic.
What Pest is in My Attic?
If you’re hearing scuttling noises or have noticed a smell coming from your attic, you could have pests overwintering in there. The most common ones we deal with here in Virginia include:
- House mice: These mice prefer secluded areas and will look to nest in your attic using insulation and other stored items for shelter.
- Roof rats: Just as their name suggests, roof rats can squeeze their way indoors and up to the attic in your home.
- Bats: Big brown bats will roost in an attic and use it as their cave. Their presence causes a lot of mess to clean up.
- Raccoons: Raccoons are strong climbers and can make their way into your attic to escape dropping temperatures outside.
- Squirrels: The attic is the perfect place for squirrels to burrow and hide out the colder months.
How To Keep Pests Out of Your Attic
Pest prevention and wildlife exclusion is the key to keeping pests and wild animals out of your attic this winter. Trim overhanging tree branches, overgrown bushes, and vines away from your home to limit roof access to pests. In addition, secure your chimney with a chimney cap, and install wire mesh over any vents or roof openings. If you keep your garbage cans outdoors, make sure to keep them secure with tight-fitting lids. Lastly, keep everything organized in plastic bins in your attic. Look for gaps or openings and seal them with steel wool or caulk.
Overwintering Pests in Virginia
If you start to hear animals or pests in your attic, it’s important to always enlist the help of a professional pest control company. Getting rid of overwintering pests can be difficult, which is why you should always use a professional. Contact the residential pest control experts at Ehrlich Pest Control, formerly Connor’s!
Common Pests in Your Attic in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944