Once summer comes to an end, many bugs and insects seemingly disappear. That said, several pests will look to make their way indoors for the winter, including stink bugs and boxelder bugs. These odorous insects are infamous for invading homes in Virginia once the weather cools down, which is why now is the time to protect your property! To avoid an infestation inside your home, it’s important to educate yourself about these bugs and learn how to prevent them.
Stink Bugs vs. Boxelder Bugs
Many people confuse these two insects, but they are actually quite different.
- Stink Bugs
- Just as their name implies, these beetle-looking insects emit a foul odor when crushed or threatened.
- They are gray or brown in color with a triangular-shaped plate on their backs.
- Stink bugs aren’t a direct threat to humans and typically will not bite.
- Once they’re inside a home, they’ll hide behind walls, in crawl spaces, and more.
- Boxelder Bugs
- These bugs are commonly found in boxelder maple trees as well as ash trees.
- Although they appear alarming with their characteristic red markings, they are typically harmless.
- That said, they may bite when they feel threatened.
- During the fall, they congregate in large numbers on the sides of buildings or wherever the sun hits.
Preventing Fall Insects From Getting Inside
Before these pesky insects have a chance to get inside your home to overwinter, it’s important to protect your property. There are several ways you can reduce the risk of getting boxelder bugs and stink bugs inside your home:
- Remove all excess debris in your front or back yard and around your home.
- Get rid of typical hiding spots for these bugs, including decorative rocks and piles of wood.
- Seal all cracks and crevices around your property, ensure screens fit snugly, and make sure your roof doesn’t contain cracks.
- Avoid moisture issues by promptly fixing leaky pipes and faucets.
- Keep a clean, tidy atmosphere inside and outside the home.
Keeping Boxelder Bugs and Stink Bugs Outside
By protecting your home from boxelder bugs and stink bugs now, you can avoid the frustration and distress of an infestation down the road. If you’ve done all you can to eliminate the factors that contribute to an infestation and are still noticing boxelder bugs and stink bugs in multiple numbers inside or outside your property, it’s time to call the experts at Connor’s. We have what it takes to protect your Virginia home from these fall invaders!
Boxelder Bugs & Stink Bugs in the Fall in Virginia
Serving the Virginia area since 1944